Packed with spinach, this Apple-Cashew Spinach Salad is dressed with a tangy apple cider vinaigrette and mixed with creamy cashews and sweet apple and raisins. For a more substantial salad, add a handful of shredded chicken.
Cashews have made a comeback in the past year or so. When I was young, cashews were the only one that I avoided with great effort when rummaging through the bowl of salty mixed nuts at gatherings. If I remember correctly, we left the cashew eating to my great Aunt Anna.
There’s cashew milk, cashew butter, cashew cheese. Apparently this nut thinks that it belong to the dairy section of the food pyramid. They actually do a fantastic job on many accounts serving these purposes like in this creamy tomato sauce and this creamy cashew noodle salad.
In this recipe, the cashew will remain true to itself. Lightly toasted with a buttery texture, drizzled with a sweetly acidic dressing over fresh crisp spinach and apples. I should mention – since they seem to be quite popular these days – that you could put this salad in a mason jar and call it a mason jar lunch. I’ll leave that decision up to you.
- 1 10oz package fresh baby spinach
- 2 apples chopped, Granny Smith or preferred apple variety
- ½ cup cashews, toasted
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs sugar
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- Combine salad dressing ingredients and mix until emulsified. Putting it all in a mason jar and shaking it is an easy way.
- Toast the cashews in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a serving bowl combine spinach, apples, cashews and raisins.
- Drizzle dressing over the top and mix to incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Join all the APPLE LOVE on my Pinterest board!