Last summer while driving through Maine we stopped in Boothbay Harbor. Our bed and breakfast served an amazing orange scented granola. It was soft and chewy – unlike any granola I’ve made before.
I think about our trip every time I make this Boothbay Harbor Granola.
Maine is so rustic and beautiful. If you get a chance to drive the coast and then inland, you find both quaint towns with cute little shops and restaurants as well as long stretches of wild forest. We saw an elk running through the hills on our trip and I can’t even begin to tell you about how wonderful and pine-y the air is.
We spent a couple days hiking in Acadia National Park. Great hiking, lots of long hikes, but not too grueling. And then when you reach the summit, you find these gorgeous views of the sea and little islands popping up in the distance. Paradise for sure.
And after long days of hiking, we spent our time milling around Bar Harbor, drinking coffee, walking through parks, watching the boats come in and out. We bought this really cool bell for our back porch. When the wind come through it sounds like a distance dinghy out on the ocean – so peaceful.
There is definitely more to explore in Maine and I can’t wait to return. It’s the land of wild blueberries and my friend who grew up there said in the fall, they burn the blueberry bushes and the air smells a whole different kind of amazing. I’d like to go back for that!
For this Boothbay Harbor Granola, you can add fresh or dried blueberries and definitely dried sweetened cranberries – they are the perfect accent to the bright orange flavor. I love how certain flavors and foods can bring you back to a trip, a memory, a moment in time when you were relaxed and aware of the beauty that surrounds us. See you soon Maine…
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup chopped raw unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped or sliced
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp. orange extract
- dried cranberries and/or dried blueberries for topping
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a pyrex measuring cup, combine oil, honey, brown sugar and water. Microwave for about 30 seconds until warm and you can easily blend the wet ingredients together. Once mixed add the orange extract. Mix into dry ingredients.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a thin even layer.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 25 minutes for soft and chewy granola.
- Add dried fruit before eating.