Pesto makes a perfect pizza sauce and this is no exception! Using fresh broccoli-walnut pesto, this Naan Pizza gets topped with Manchego cheese, greens and quick pickled onions with the option to add some chicken sausage. It also makes a great party appetizer sliced into long rectangles. The onions, peppers and greens make this dish so colorful!
If you haven’t tried naan, you’re missing out! It’s delicious all on it’s own – especially if you make it from scratch (here)! For this recipe, I use store bought naan – unless it’s the weekend and I have more bread making time.
You’ll have plenty of leftover pesto – which is always a good thing to keep in the freezer. It means that next time you want to eat this pizza, the sauce is just a defrost away! It’s also a great sandwich spread or drizzle to make your soups extra fancy!
- 4 naan breads, store bought or homemade
- 2-3 Italian turkey or chicken sausages, casings removed (omit if vegetarian), precooked sausages are fine, just slice into bite-sized discs.
- ⅓ cup diced roasted red peppers
- 8 pitted kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup manchego cheese shaved or sliced very thin
- 2 cups lightly packed baby arugula or baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 cups broccoli, steamed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped curly parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup slivered red onion
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Make the broccoli pesto: Toast nuts on a baking sheet in oven at 350° for 4 to 5 minutes. Steam broccoli until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, cool in ice water, and use a paper towel to pat dry.
- Pulse nuts, broccoli, parsley, garlic, and oil in a food processor until almost smooth. Add parmesan and salt; pulse to blend. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix the salad: combine onion, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside. You will top the pizza with this after it comes out of the oven.
- Assemble the pizza: put naan on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Brown turkey sausage in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until browned, 5 -8 minutes. Spread naan with pesto, top with sausage, peppers, olives, and a layer of manchego on top.
- Bake until cheese softens, 8 minutes. Add arugula/spinach and the olive oil to the vinegar mixture you set aside. Toss to coat; sprinkle over pizzas.