What else can you make with Rhubarb? This is always the burning question for me.
This Rhubarb BBQ Sauce will give you a great way to enjoy rhubarb in a savory dish! Imagine a big bowl of rhubarb bbq glazed shrimp or a rhubarb bbq pulled chicken sandwich – YUM!
I have a lot of rhubarb. When I first planted my garden I got so excited to have my very own and sort of went overboard. I’ve since divided it and transplanted it to a more suitable location. It’s virtually indestructible, so it doesn’t need to take up space in my raised beds. I made Rhubarb Ginger Jam last year which was really delicious despite it being my first time jarring. When I made this Rhubarb BBQ Sauce, I just froze the extra so I didn’t have to worry about the jarring process. You can follow the jarring process I used in the jam recipe if you want to keep it shelf stable.
You probably heard of blueberry bbq sauce, so why not rhubarb? It’s lip smacking delicious and a great way to use a bunch of rhubarb in one recipe. I recommend making it a day or two before you’d like to use it. The flavors mellow and settle in together after a few days in the fridge.
- 1 bunch rhubarb, chopped
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- water to cover
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add water so that it covers the rhubarb mixture about 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for about 1 hour until soft.
- Remove from stove and let the mixture cool a bit before transferring to a food processor blending until smooth.
- Use or freeze in small containers for bbq sauce all year round!
Stay tuned for my Rhubarb Pancakes!