Warm Beets & Greens Salad is the recipe that changed my mind about beets. The combination of toasted almonds slices, creamy goat cheese and just a hint of garlic and olive oil create a light and healthy side dish.
Golden beets are my absolute favorite. They were my “gateway” beet. Now they are the prized possession in my garden.
Both red and golden were roasted here, but feel free to choose one or the other. The golden beets will have a milder flavor which pairs great with the almonds and goat cheese.
I recently brought this salad to a dinner. Shortly after we started eating, one of my friends declared that she didn’t think she liked beets, but that this preparation was excellent. I’d have to agree with her. Enjoy and eat healthy!
- 1 bunch fresh organic red or golden beets with good quality leaves intact (usually a bunch is 3 medium beets)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- a drizzle of honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut been greens off the root leaving about 2" attached. (if you purchased beets earlier in the week, you should take this step as soon as you return from the grocery store and wrap separately for storage).
- Wash and pat roots and leaves dry.
- Grab a sheet of foil large enough to wrap the 3 beets together. Lay it flat and put beets on top in the middle. Drizzle about 1 tbs of olive oil on the beets, rub with oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Seal up the foil tightly and place on a baking sheet or pan for about 60 minutes to roast. The beets will be done when pierced easily with a fork all the way through.
- Prep the greens and almonds while you wait for the beets.
- Chop the greens into bite size pieces discarding the entire center stem portion.
- Toast the sliced almonds in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat. This only takes a few minutes, so as soon as they start turning slightly golden, remove them from the heat and place in a bowl.
- Once the beets are done, let them cool for 10 minutes while you finish the greens.
- In a large skillet add 1 tbs of olive oil and the minced garlic. Heat garlic on low until it is fragrant - about 1-2 min. Add the leaves and stir around to coat. They will cook down fairly quickly like spinach would - 5 min.
- The beets should be cool enough to handle with a paper towel now. Chop off the top stem and using a dry paper towel, wrap and squeeze the beet and the skin should slide right off onto the towel.
- Dice the beets. Lay them on top of a serving of beet greens. Finish off with goat cheese, toasted almonds and salt and pepper to taste. Add a drizzle of honey if you'd like!
*I often feel like there are never enough beet greens to go around. In this case, grab some spinach and use this as an alternative or addition to your greens.
*If you use red and golden beets as I have here. You must roast and store them separately otherwise the red beets will color your entire bunch red.