I planted a few hardneck garlic varieties last fall not realizing that they would also provide these lovely curly scapes in June!
By harvesting the scape the energy the plant dedicates to flower production is diverted back into garlic bulb production!
The first item of business was to figure out what to make with these beauties. I began with a simple garlic scape hummus. It didn’t take a lot to give this hummus quite the garlicky bite!
- ¼ - ⅓ cup chopped garlic scapes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- ⅓ cup tahini sauce (optional, see notes)
- top with fresh chopped herbs
- crackers and/or veggies for dipping
- In a food processor, pulse garlic scapes, lemon juice and salt.
- Add chickpeas and blend until smooth adding olive oil as you go.
- Top with herbs and spices such as dill and sumac.