As a powerhouse leafy vegetable, watercress ranks at the very top of the list for nutrient density (ratio of nutrients to calories). I should really use it more often!
This time of year I love to buy apricots and grill them to perfection. Peaches are sweeter and you may prefer them – so take your pick or use both!
- 2 cups cooked grains (farro, wheatberries, freekah, brown rice, etc)
- 4 fresh apricots and/or peaches, cut in half and grilled
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 cups fresh leafy greens (watercress, spinach, kale)
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp honey, more to taste
- 4 tbsp balsamic reduction, more to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook grains per package instructions.
- Prepare balsamic reduction sauce if you don't already have on hand. (see notes)
- While grains and/or balsamic reduction are cooking, wash/prep your greens and toast your walnuts (350 degrees in the oven for approx. 8 min or in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat).
- About 10 minutes before you're ready to eat, cut apricots/peaches in half and put cut side down on stovetop grill. Grill on medium until juicy and grill marks appear on the cut side. Flip them over on the other side for just a minute or two to warm. This takes about 8 min.
- Combine everything in a bowl: grains, greens, fruit, cheese and nuts.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and honey to taste. Season with salt and pepper.