The infamous kale strikes again. This time taking a smoky turn with this Spanish inspired Kale Salad with Manchego & Marcona Almonds.
I brought back a bounty of edible loot from Spain (see my post here) and today I decided to combine it with what is abundant in my garden – Red Russian Kale.
The array of goodies at the Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria was awesome. After wandering aimlessly through the rows of vendors we settled for some fresh juices. I filled my shopping bag with smoked paprika, roasted Marcona almonds, extra virgin olive oil and Manchego cheese.
This simple kale salad recipe is healthy and incorporates all the ingredients I bought at the market as well as what’s ready to eat from my garden. The perfect mix for a post-vacation detox!
Feeling like more healthy greens? Check out these salad recipes!
- 1 large bunch of kale (about 10 large leaves), stems and ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 large hardboiled eggs, chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup toasted almonds, any kind will do, but Marcona are especially tasty
- ½ cup Manchego cheese, shaved or grated (I like to include both textures)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Make the hardboiled eggs:
- Put the eggs in a small saucepan and fill with cold water so it covers the eggs completely. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and peel them.
- Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Add the oil and whisk until combined.
- Assemble the salad:
- In a large bowl, add the chopped kale and toss with the dressing. Using your fingers, massage the dressing into the kale leaves to soften the kale (2 min). I like to let the kale marinate in the dressing in the refrigerator for at least an hour before adding the toppings. It softens the kale and helps impart the smoky flavor from the paprika. It can be eaten right away as well.
- Add the almonds and eggs and toss to incorporate. Grate and shave some Manchego over the top.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.