As soon as the zucchini starts growing in my garden it I start adding it to everything. From zucchini noodles to this Zucchini Bread Oatmeal.
The rain has finally stopped and the sun is shining. That means the zucchini will be growing exponentially over the next couple days. I like to pick them when they are small, tender and manageable – apparently so do the squirrels.
An easy way to bring some fresh vegetables into your morning routine is to grate some into your oatmeal. It adds a little bit of texture to your bowl and mimics the taste of zucchini bread! When you’re done making this, you can pop over and make my whole wheat zucchini walnut bread!
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup grated zucchini (I like the texture of a medium grate.)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- chopped walnuts, to top
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar, to top
- drizzle of maple syrup, optional
- In a small pot, add milk/water, cinnamon and oats. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat, stirring a few times ~ 3 min.
- Add in the chia seeds and grated zucchini. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally about 4 min until desired texture is reached.
- When cooked, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and brown sugar. Top with chopped walnuts, sliced bananas and perhaps a drizzle of maple syrup.