Salmon + Dill = they just go together. Mixed in cheese and you’ve got a savory Salmon Halloumi & Dill Burger that makes a fast weeknight meal seem gourmet!
Dill is quite possibly my favorite herb. It produces beautiful flowers which then dry out into billions of seeds for next year’s crop. What can be easier than that? And it’s sooo good with salmon. Have you tried my creamy smoked salmon pasta with dill? Heaven.
And halloumi cheese. Let’s talk about this delicious block of salty goodness.
Halloumi has a really high melting point – which makes it ideal for holding up to grilling. You can even put slices straight onto your waffle iron and have toasty cheese, waffle style! And it’s salty – it basically perfectly salts your creations for you! I’m a fan. You’ve got to try it!
Serve this on a nice warm bun or as a salad – it’s a keeper!
- 1 lb (give or take) wild salmon filets, cut into very small cubes (I use frozen wild caught filets, defrosted)
- 6 oz halloumi cheese, cubed or shredded into very small pieces
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill (add more if you love it like I do!)
- ½ cup bread crumbs, panko or regular (you can use ¼ cup ground flax seed for a gluten free option)
- Prep all the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix salmon, cheese, scallions, garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the egg. Mix well.
- Add the dill and breadcrumbs for the final mix.
- At this point the mixture may seem like it's not holding together well. It's true, the mixture is a bit loose, but don't be afraid to give it a few squeezes. It actually holds together quite well when cooking despite it's crumbly appearance. Fear not!
- Form your mixture into 6 evenly divided patties. Make sure to press them out into an uniform thickness so they cook evenly.
- At this point you can refrigerate them for a few hours if you're not ready to make them.
- To cook the burgers, heat a greased flat stovetop griddle on medium heat.
- Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Serve with slices of avocado, tomatoes, peppers, spinach - whatever you've got! A wedge of lemon to squeeze on top is nice too!