You know when you’re at the eye doctor and they keep flipping the lenses back and forth between two seemingly identical options and make you choose which one is better? That’s how I felt today choosing a photo to use for this orange creamsicle smoothie.
I’ve had an insatiable craving for everything orange this month and every photo looked like a burst of citrus. I just can’t get enough! These Cara Cara are the best ones right now and I could eat the whole orange – peel and all.
A few years back we spent a long weekend at a Phoenix resort called Hotel Valley Ho. The one thing that stuck with us was their famous “Ho-J” – a breakfast beverage which is essentially vanilla ice cream and orange juice. Who doesn’t love ice cream for breakfast and when you’re in the desert in the middle of the summer you can take the liberty to do just this.
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, peeled
- ½ large frozen banana
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup carrot juice
- ¼ cup rolled oats, cooked and cooled (make ahead or quickly in the microwave)
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp orange oil/extract
- zest of half an orange
- Blend all ingredients except the banana and zest until nice and frothy.
- Add the frozen banana. Blend.
- Top with orange zest.