Breakfast Salad. Yep, it’s a thing. Hard boiled eggs, roasted potatoes, all tossed up with greens and balsamic dressing. Get a big serving of healthy greens in with all the fixings! A great way to use up any leftover hard boiled eggs too!
It was just last summer while visiting Toronto that I discovered a lot of people eat salad for breakfast. And while traveling for Easter last week I found out it wasn’t just a Canadian thing. Sorry Canada – I still think you’re super special.
We hit the road last week to visit friends in North Carolina. We stayed with our friends Mark and Brigitta in Asheville. They have two young children, both work full time and there’s not a lot of time to spare in the kitchen. I actually don’t know how they manage to eat at all with little ones running around!
I was pretty amazed with the quick, healthy and creative dishes Brigitta came up with for her family. She inspired me to add some of the meals we shared to Oat&Sesame. I think they will be great go-to recipes for anyone short on time and craving a simple and delicious homemade meal. And all of them will make perfect make-ahead dishes to take to work. You can’t beat that combo!
First up is a recipe for a breakfast salad. Don’t walk away from this one just because the word “salad” is in the title. It’s delicious.
The recipe is inspired by a restaurant in West Asheville called Sunny Point. I’ve eaten there on previous trips and recommend eating there if you’re visiting Asheville.
Oat&Sesame is on Yummly – visit my collection here and start your own recipe box!
Yummly combines all the best food blogger recipes and allows you to search by ingredients and dietary requirements. You can sort by taste preferences and create your own catalog of new recipes to make and old recipes to hold onto! It’s a great way to stay organized and get new inspiration!
- 6 white potatoes, diced into 2" pieces
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 12 strips bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 bag of salad with greens of choice
- 1 small container of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half if necessary
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese, to top (optional)
- Balsamic dressing, store bought or homemade
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dice the potatoes and toss them with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, roast for 18-20 minutes or until crisp and tender.
- While the potatoes are roasting, fry the bacon, boil the eggs and prepare the dressing if making from scratch.
- Once the potatoes are ready, build the salad as desired and top with dressing.
- If preparing breakfast for the week, keep the ingredients in separate containers and toss right before eating.
Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest to get the latest!