A standby meal for me is usually grains + roasted vegetables + a dressing.
This week’s dressing is quick to whip up and super yummy. Roasted Broccoli Barley Bowls + Creamy Tahini Dressing will be the next addition to your weekly menu. You can use any roasted vegetables!
I re-learned an important lesson this past week – a lesson completely unrelated to this recipe for Roasted Broccoli Barley bowls, but nonetheless an important one.
Here it is: Do not cut jalapeños and then hours later attempt to put your contacts in.
Your eyelid will squeeze tightly shut and burn ferociously while you flail around having a panic attack while simultaneously coming up with ways to get your contact out without touching your eye again.
My eye is have a flashback while typing this. It makes me reconsider the whole LASIK option. No more sticking your jalapeño fingers in your eyes on accident. 🙂
Luckily there were no jalapeños in this recipe, although you could certainly add some. I think my eyes will be okay with broccoli fingers.
I love whole meals that arrive in one single bowl. It makes life so much easier! Check out my Roasted Carrot Farro Bowl with Spiced Tahini Dressing too!
- 1 cup barley (uncooked)
- 4-5 small crowns broccoli, trimmed (5-6 cups florets)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbs water (adding 1 at a time to reach desired consistency)
- 2 Tbs tahini
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1.5 cups walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese(optional)
- sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
- Cook barley or other grain of choice according to package instructions. Add a pinch of salt to the cooking water. Barley takes roughly 45 minutes to cook to a tender chewiness.
- While the barley is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients as follows:
-Toast the nuts on a baking sheet - approx 5 min @ 400F. Set aside.
-Trim, wash and dry off your pieces of broccoli. Toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast @ 400F for 15-20 min tossing halfway through.
-Prepare the Creamy Tahini Dressing. The dressing will be fairly potent on its own, but is perfect when added to the broccoli bowls.
-Slice, chop and crumble any add-ins.
- When there is about 5 minutes of the roasting time remaining for the broccoli, toss it with 2-3 Tbs of the Creamy Tahini Dressing.
- When the barley is done, build your bowls, top with dressing and enjoy!