These healthy Roasted Broccoli Barley Bowls have a dressing that is tahini-based, full of flavor and quite addictive. I promise it will become one of your favorite dishes to make. It’s that yummy. And you can use any roasted vegetable, the grain of your choice and any kind of nut. Chewy barley and toasty walnuts are my absolute favorite.
I re-learned an important lesson this past week – a lesson completely unrelated to this recipe for Roasted Broccoli Barley bowls, but nonetheless an important one.
Here it is: Do not cut jalapeños and then hours later attempt to put your contacts in.
Your eyelid will squeeze tightly shut and burn ferociously while you flail around having a panic attack while simultaneously coming up with ways to get your contact out without touching your eye again.
My eye is have a flashback while typing this. It makes me reconsider the whole LASIK option. No more sticking your jalapeño fingers in your eyes on accident. 🙂
Luckily there were no jalapeños in this recipe, although you could certainly add some. I think my eyes will be okay with broccoli fingers.
I love whole meals that arrive in one single bowl. It makes life so much easier! Check out my Roasted Carrot Farro Bowl with Spiced Tahini Dressing too!
- 1 cup barley (uncooked)
- 4-5 small crowns broccoli, trimmed (5-6 cups florets)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbs water (adding 1 at a time to reach desired consistency)
- 2 Tbs tahini
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1.5 cups walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese(optional)
- sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
- Cook barley or other grain of choice according to package instructions. Add a pinch of salt to the cooking water. Barley takes roughly 45 minutes to cook to a tender chewiness.
- While the barley is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients as follows:
-Toast the nuts on a baking sheet - approx 5 min @ 400F. Set aside.
-Trim, wash and dry off your pieces of broccoli. Toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast @ 400F for 15-20 min tossing halfway through.
-Prepare the Creamy Tahini Dressing. The dressing will be fairly potent on its own, but is perfect when added to the broccoli bowls.
-Slice, chop and crumble any add-ins.
- When there is about 5 minutes of the roasting time remaining for the broccoli, toss it with 2-3 Tbs of the Creamy Tahini Dressing.
- When the barley is done, build your bowls, top with dressing and enjoy!