Apples, currants + cinnamon bring a touch of fall to your morning. With apple season underway, this Apple-Currant Granola is the tip of the apple iceberg.
The grocery store has been pumping the scent of pumpkin spice at me for weeks now. I’ve done my best to resist their early attempts to lure me into fall.
This week I’ve reluctantly let fall flavors sneak into my kitchen. With Labor Day come and gone, planning has commenced for our annual fall apple tour. Since this is underway, I think I can at least let the apple into the spotlight, but pumpkin spice – sorry, not yet.
With the school year underway and mornings not quite perfected, granola made this week’s routine a little less hectic and a lot more enjoyable.
Welcome to apple season!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (1.2 oz each) Trader Joe's Freeze Dried Fuji Apple Slices, broken into pieces
- ½ cup dried currants
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan over, combine honey, maple syrup, applesauce and coconut oil.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately turn down to medium-low to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often until the mixture thickens just a little. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Mix the oats, almonds, cinnamon, allspice and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the applesauce mixture over the oat mixture. Stir to coat thoroughly, and spread evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake the granola for about 45 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the granola is golden brown and crisp. Keeping an eye on it towards the end of the baking time.
- With about 5 minutes remaining on the baking time, stir in the dried apples and currants.
- Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet. It will crisp up more as it cools. Store the granola in a large, airtight container.
- Serve with milk or on top of yogurt.
Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest to get the latest!