There are two things I love about waking up in the morning – eating breakfast and drinking coffee. This Creamy Mocha-Oat Smoothie combines these into a fast breakfast that can be served warm or cold!
The idea of a warm smoothie might seem odd at first, but I’ve been playing around with the idea for some time now. The last invention was this Warm Apple Smoothie. Doesn’t it make more sense to enjoy a warm smoothie in the cooler months? I know my smoothie drinking slows down when it’s cold, but it really doesn’t have too!
SoTo make this smoothie insanely fast, I prepare a big batch of cold brew coffee with my Toddy Cold Brew system. It gives me smooth and strong coffee all week long without having to make it each morning. Then I can warm it or drink it in cold beverages. Since I have a preference for strong espresso coffee, my other preferred method is my Moka pot – which gives me 1 cup of strong coffee/espresso when I need it. Both options are great for my Mocha-Oat Smoothie.
Want it iced? Check out my boozy iced coffee granita too!
I love using Rodelle Dutch Process Cocoa Powder. It gives anything I make with it a deeper chocolate flavor and color. When I say Mocha, I want Mocha! (Read this to learn about the differences between regular and Dutch). And to really bump up the chocolate, you could use Rodelle chocolate extract instead of almond in this recipe. Who knew chocolate extract could be so useful!
The little bits of crushed coconut and shaved chocolate on top make this Mocha-Oat Smoothie borderline dessert- giving you just the boost of yum you might be craving!
- ⅓ cup quick oats
- 1 Tbs sugar
- ¾ cup water or milk
- ½ cup cold pressed coffee, warmed or freshly brewed strong coffee
- 1 very ripe banana (use frozen banana slices if you want it cold)
- 1 tsp almond extract orchocolate extract
- 1 Tbs dutch process cocoa powder
- shaved chocolate, chopped dried coconut slices, to top
- Place oats, sugar and water in a microwave safe mug and stir. Microwave for 1 minute until the oatmeal is cooked and creamy. *This time may vary according to your microwave power
- In a blender, add cooked oatmeal and all other ingredients. Blend until very smooth and creamy. You may need to add a little extra liquid - you can add water, milk or more coffee! If you leave it a little thicker, it will be like a pudding snack! Yum!
- Top with shaved chocolate and slices of coconut chips