Do your breakfast tacos break apart when you load them up?
These portable breakfast tacos won’t fall apart when you load them with sauce or salsa and take them on the go! Plus they have tater tots…
If you have ever traveled to Austin, TX you know the breakfast taco is king. I’m a huge fan too. Especially when they include tater tots in them. It was also on this trip that I stumbled upon Yellowbird Hot Sauce – now I stock bottles of it. Serrano is my fav.
Need to know where to get breakfast tacos in Austin? Check out my Austin blogpost.
I take issue with tacos that fall apart. Sometimes salsa and other fillings can cause the tortillas to soften and tear – this is especially true with corn tortillas. A trick to strengthen your taco and turn it into a portable breakfast taco is to use two tortillas and glue them together with cheese!
It’s a quasi-quesadilla-taco.
The double taco shell makes one taco into a substantial breakfast. You can make them ahead of time and reheat them for a quick breakfast on the go.
- 2 small corn or flour tortillas (4" or 6")
- 2 Tbs shredded cheese (I used maple smoked white cheddar)
- 1 bag tater tots, baked (you'll only need 3-4 tots per taco, so I make about a dozen and make a few tacos for the week wrapped in foil)
- 1 eggs, scrambled
- Yellowbird hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- a few pinches of Mexican oregano and/or chili powder
- jalapeños, thinly sliced
- cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Cook the tater tots according to package directions.
- While the tots cook, scramble the eggs. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray on medium heat. Add one tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and top with the other tortilla. Toast each side until lightly browned, but not crunchy - you still want the tortillas to be pliable.
- Fill your tortillas and enjoy or wrap in foil to take on the go!
Follow me on Pinterest and Get Great Tips on How to Make Breakfast Tacos that Rock!