With just a few ingredients you can make a Simple Homemade Tomato Sauce that’s WAAY better than any jarred sauce. So super easy and done in under 30 minutes. As long as you have a can of San Marzano tomatoes, you’ll be stocked and ready to make pizza sauce, pasta sauce – there are so many uses for this versatile tomato sauce!
It’s as simple as sautéing plenty of chopped fresh garlic in a little olive oil until soft and fragrant. Add a can of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes, bring it to a simmer and let it heat through, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon as they begin to break down. A little kosher salt, a little pepper and dried basil and voilá – it’s ready!
I use this Simple Homemade Tomato Sauce for pizza and pasta, for dipping and spreading. In the summer, when you want to make something lighter, try it over my Zucchini Lasagna! Sauce is always better when it’s homemade!
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 12oz can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté until soft and fragrants. About 2 minutes. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Add can of tomatoes and ½ tsp Kosher salt.
- Simmer on medium/medium low until tomatoes are starting to break down and crush easily with the back of a wooden spoon. About 15 minutes.
- Add dried basil.
- Taste and season with remaining ¼ tsp Kosher salt + a few grinds of pepper.