A light and fresh Zucchini Lasagna recipe for summer! Rolled with hummus and fresh spinach, then topped with a Simple Homemade Tomato Sauce, fresh basil and toasted pine nuts – this zucchini lasagna will be a summer favorite!
This Zucchini Lasagna is done in about 30 minutes – including time to make homemade tomato sauce – if you want to make everything from scratch! A mandoline slicer will make slicing the zucchini a cinch!
It’s also great for slicing eggplant which can also be used to make lasagna roll ups.
Like in these Vegetable Hummus Wraps.
To make this lasagna, the thinly sliced zucchini is placed on a paper towel, sprinkled with kosher salt and left to sit for about 20 minutes while you make the homemade tomato sauce. This process removes the excess water that is stored in zucchini. You don’t want to skip this step or the water will make it’s way into the sauce when it’s in the oven and water down the whole dish.
After about 20 minutes, you’ll press each side with a paper towel and spread each slice on 1 side with whatever hummus you choose to use, layer with spinach leaving the hummus exposed on the very end to act as glue, then roll it up! Place each roll seam side down in a 8″ x 8″ baking dish coated with a layer of tomato sauce.
The dish then is topped with more tomato sauce, baked until heated through (about 15 min). Top with fresh basil and toasted pine nuts to finish. Parmesan cheese can also be added, but the fresh summery flavors really shine on their own without it.
Serve this with a side salad and you’ll still have room for dessert after this light + healthy summer lasagna!
- 2 medium or 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 12 oz container hummus (I love roasted eggplant hummus with this recipe)
- 1.5 cups baby spinach, stems removed
- 1- 1.5 cups homemade or store-bought tomato sauce (recipe here)
- 2 Tbs toasted pine nuts
- handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice zucchini with a mandoline. I use my thinnest setting.
- Place slices on a paper towel, sprinkled with salt and let to sit for about 20 minutes while you make the homemade tomato sauce, if making.
- After 20 minutes, you'll press each side with a paper towel and spread each slice with a layer of hummus on one side. Cover the hummus with a few spinach leaves and roll it up!
- Place each roll seam side down in a 8 x 8 baking dish coated with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Top with more tomato sauce + bake at 350F uncovered for 15 minutes until heated through.
- Add toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. Optional sprinkle of parmesan.
*If you can find straight zucchini that will make slicing much easier!