This Beet & Chickpea Salad with Coconut Lime Dressing is a healthy side dish with tons of tropical flair. The coconut lime dressing is packed with cilantro and has a citrusy contrast – a great complement to the earthy flavor of roasted beets.
Similar to this Tropical Black Beans and Rice Bowl recipe which combines mango and golden beets, this vegetarian side is bright and fresh. Chickpeas add a little protein so the dish can stand as a meal on its own.
Have you ever made crunchy chickpeas?
Such a great protein packed snack– a crunchy alternative to chips! Love all the flavors like these Korean BBQ! You can easily make them at home as well with these recipes.
Another alternative for these tropical-themed beets
is to create an open faced sandwich.
Slice the roasted beets instead of dicing them. Then smash and blend the chickpeas with olive oil (1 tbsp), the juice of 1/2 a lime, maybe a squeeze of sriracha for spice and a few dashes of salt and pepper to create a quick hummus spread. Grab a couple slices of crusty 9-grain bread, add a smear of hummus and sliced beets, drizzle with coconut lime dressing and grab a fork and knife for the perfect lunch!
Need tips on how to prepare or how to peel beets?
Can you eat beet leaves?
YES! Treat them just like spinach. Sauté with olive oil, salt and pepper.
How to Roast Beets:
Place beets (leaves/roots trimmed, skin on – washed and dried) on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the beets. Wrap tightly in foil and place into 400F oven for 45-60 min – depending on how large the beets are. They are ready when they are easily pierced with a fork.
How to Peel Roasted Beets:
Once beets have cooled enough to handle with a paper towel, cut off the top stem portion of each. With a dry paper towel, wrap each beet and pinch the beet as if you’re trying to pop the beet out of its skin. The skin should start to slide off. On occasion there will be a tough patch that you might need to trim with a knife.
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed and packed (plus more to top salad)
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lime juice (**zest the lime first and set aside)
- 4 tsp white balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4-5 medium red beets, roasted, peeled and chopped (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained (use more if desired)
- 1 lime, grated zest of
- Add all dressing ingredients to a Cuisinart and blend until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped beets with the dressing.
- Add chickpeas and extra cilantro, toss gently.
- Top with reserved grated lime zest and extra lime wedges